Ferrari 250 GT SWB 38

1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta

The stunning 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta

Following on from the 250 GTO with the stunning 1962 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Steel Body. It had just come back from the Modena Cento Ore Classic in Italy, 800km in four days, 10 special stages and three races in circuits including Modena and Mugello.

The car was literally just back from the event, covered in flies, fuel stains down the rear wing and number boards still in place. The car looked great, it’s fantastic that these cars are used as they were designed and not just stored in a garage.

Number boards to be removed, scrutineering stickers to be kept.

The first thing I noticed was the remains of silver duct tape around the bonnet. There had been some issues with the bonnet catch so it had been taped up as a precaution.

With the duct tape removed and the catch fixed, I set about removing the glue residue as safely as possible. This came off using make up pads soaked in a tar and glue remover to soften and lift the glue off of the paintwork. The number boards were then carefully removed keeping them intact. The scrutineering stickers were to be left in place.

With the wheels removed, we set about thoroughly cleaning the wheels and tyres. They are painted wire wheels rather than polished , which makes life a lot easier. The tyres were cleaned with an all purpose cleaner to remove any old tyre dressing, and the wheels cleaned with a suitable wheel cleaner. The wheels were thoroughly rinsed and then dried using a warm air dryer. The wheels were given a coat of Gtechniq C1.5 Silo Seal and the tyres were dressed with Gtechniq T1 Tyre and Trim.

Next was a thorough clean of the arches and underside of the car. This included the brakes, calipers, suspension, chassis etc. The engine and engine bay were also cleaned at this stage.

The car was then carefully washed, using a lambswool mitt with Gtechniq G-Wash and the two bucket method. With the car now clean a tar and glue remover was applied to remove any tar spots, glue residue and petrol from the rear wing. The front wing was done paying particular caution to the scrutineering stickers as these were to be left on, and we didn’t want to remove the writing on them.

One last thorough rinse, and then carefully dried ready for polishing. We hand polished the paintwork with a paint cleanser before applying Gtechniq C1.5 Silo Seal. The glass was also cleaned and polished at his stage.

The exhausts were then polished and sealed before putting the wheels back on. Finally the wheel hub spinners were polished and sealed.

The dashboard, seats and carpets were vacuumed and dusted. The leather was cleaned with a leather cleaner and the glass cleaned inside.

Some final shots…

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.